Skip to content
Choose your language:
  • There are no suggestions because the search field is empty.
Take Your Free

Figure out if you qualify...

Take The Free Immigration Assessment

Meet with one of our immigration consultants

Book An Appointment

Student Direct Stream (SDS)

Student Direct Stream (SDS)

The Student Direct Stream - SDS is the faster stream IRCC uses to process study permit applications from international students living in an eligible country. It usually takes up to 20 days for study permit applications under the SDS to be processed.

Eligibility requirements:

  • Be legal resident living in one of the following countries:  Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Vietnam
  • Have an Attestation Letter: as of January 22, 2024, most students are required to include this document from the province or territory where they plan to study with their study permit application.  Each province or territory is developing a process of emission of the attestation letters and the processes are expected to be in place by March 31, 2024.
  • Have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
  • Live outside of Canada when applying.
  • Have proof you have paid your tuition for your first year of study, if you’re planning to study outside Quebec
  • Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)  amounting to CAN$20,635.
  • Have an attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (This is only if you’re planning to study in Quebec).
  • Get a medical exam before applying (if the applicant needs one).
  • Get a police certificate before applying (if the applicant needs one).
  • Have the most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s); and
  • Have  the minimum score required fo one of the qualifying language tests.

Depending on where the student is applying from, other documents may be required.

FUNDS 2024 STUDY-horiz


What is a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)?

A GIC is an investment with fixed period of time offered by many banks in Canada. For study permit applications under the SDS, the GIC and issuing institution need to meet specific criteria set by Canadian immigration.

The institution must:

  • Issue a document confirming that the student bought a GIC;
  • Hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account which the student can’t access until arriving in Canada;
  • Make the student confirm identity before they release any funds; and
  • Release the funds to the student by providing an initial lump sum upon arrival in Canada and the remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months.

Getting your GIC is simple. In most cases, the student is able to complete the process online.

Need help to apply for a GIC to study in Canada? We can assist you.

We provide complete assistance with your school and study permit applications. We have arrangement with more than a thousand educational institutions in Canada and can help you choosing the most suitable program according to
your needs.

Can I work in Canada as an International Student?

Yes, in most cases, international students are allowed to work in Canada while studying. Immigration Canada will set on the student’s study permit whether the student is allowed to work in Canada or not.

International students can work:

  • After starting their study program, on or off the school campus
  • As a co-op students or intern, when their study program includes work experience as part of its curriculum
  • After graduation, if eligible for a Post-graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Eligibility requirements to work on-campus:

  • Be a full-time post-secondary student at a:
    • Public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • Private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law
  • Have a valid study permit, and
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Eligibility requirements to work off-campus:

  • Be a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Be enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program or a secondary-level vocational training program (Quebec only)
  • The study program is at least 6 months long and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • Have started studying
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Eligibility requirements for a Co-op Work Permit:

  • Have a valid study permit
  • Work is required to complete the study program in Canada
  • Have a letter from the school that confirms all students in the same program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and
  • The co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of the study program

Eligibility requirements for a Post-graduation Work Permit (PGWP):

  • Have completed a PGWP-eligible program at one of the Designated Learning Institutions. Academic, vocational or professional training programs at least 8 months long which grant a degree, diploma or certificate are eligible;
  • Have completed at least 50% of the study program in Canada (some exceptions apply due to the COVID-19 pandemic);
  • Have studied full time (have taken at least 3 courses of the Program) in each semester, except for the last semester; and
  • Have received the educational credential, transcripts or letter of completion of the program issued by the Designated Learning Institution.