Visitors and Former Foreign Workers in Canada
THIS PUBLIC POLICY HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO FEBRUARY 28, 2023.
Public policy to allow eligible foreign nationals with valid temporary resident status to apply for a job offer-supported work permit from inside Canada.
Start and End Dates:
August 24, 2020 to February 28, 2023.
- Were in Canada with valid temporary resident status when the work permit application was submitted and has since remained in Canada with valid temporary resident status; and
- Submitted an in-Canada work permit application for which a decision has not been made.
Former foreign workers:
- Meet the conditions listed above for visitors;
- Held a valid work permit in the 12 months preceding the date on which they submitted their application for a work permit under this public policy; and
- Intend to work for the employer and/or occupation as specified by the job offer included in their work permit application.
Temporary foreign workers applying for this policy are allowed to work while a decision on their work permit application is pending.
Applicants need to apply online, using the electronic means identified by IRCC for that purpose. Those applying for a work permit shall request the exemption to be applicable until a decision is made on their work permit application.
Any work permit applicable fee must be paid at the time of application.