Since March 2020, international students can complete their entire program online from abroad and still be eligible for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This measure, set to expire in December 2021, has been extended to August 2022.
The rule applies to international students who:
- are enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program;
- began, or will begin, a program in any semester from spring 2020 to summer 2022;
- have a study permit or approval for a study permit, or applied for a study permit prior to starting their program and are eventually approved; and
- meet all other PGWP criteria.
For those completing 2 study programs, they can finish 100% of their studies online:
- if the programs were ongoing or started between March 2020 and summer 2022;
- both study programs are with an eligible DLI and are completed within 2 years, and
- each program meets all PGWP eligibility requirements and is at least 8 months long.
What is a Post- Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?
The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is available for full-time students who graduated at Canadian post-secondary institutions in eligible programs.
- Completed a PGWP-eligible program at one of the Designated Learning Institutions. Academic, vocational or professional training programs at least 8 months long which grant a degree, diploma or certificate are eligible;
- Completed at least 50% of the Program in Canada (Extended to 100% until August 2022);
- Have studied full time (have taken at least 3 courses of the Program) in each semester, except for the last semester; and
- Have received the transcript and letter of completion of the program issued by the Designated Learning Institution.
Graduates have up to 180 days to apply for a PGWP after getting their degree or diploma, transcript or official letter from their school, and must keep valid status in Canada to be eligible to apply.
The PGWP term is at the discretion of the Canadian immigration and depends on the length of the program the student has completed. For 1-year programs, students usually receive a PGWP valid for 1 year; for 2-year or longer programs, the PGWP expiry varies from 2 to 3 years.
Start your studies online from your home country in a Canadian institution now and take advantage of the measures implemented by the Government of Canada.
We can assist you with the entire process, choosing the program eligible for PGWP, according to your budget, where you wish to live, and your field of studies. We also prepare and submit your school and study permit applications.
Get complete assistance by contacting us: