Great news for PGWP holders: IRCC releases information on how to apply for a new work permit if you held or hold a PGWP
Foreign workers in Canada with an expired or expiring PGWP can now apply for an open work permit under the new Public Policy announced by IRCC last week.
Applications are open as of January 27, 2021 until July 27, 2021.
The new work permit will be valid for 18 months.
Who can apply:
Applicants who meet the following 5 requirements can apply for the new open work permit:
- PGWP Expiry Date: The post-graduation work permit (PGWP) expired on or after January 30, 2020, or will expire within 4 months from the date the applicant applies for the open work permit.
- Applicant in Canada: The applicant was in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
- Status in Canada: The applicant either:
- has a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows him/her to stay in Canada), or
- lost the temporary resident status, but the applicant already applied to restore it, or
- lost the temporary resident status, but will apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
- New Public Policy: Applicants must include in their application that they’re applying for an open work permit under the public policy.
- Valid Passport: Applicants need a valid passport. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.
This measure is one more step taken by the Canadian Government’s to support foreign international affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
International students help creating jobs and filling labour shortages in Canada. More than 58,000 graduates successfully applied to immigrate permanently in 2019 and this figure is expected to grow in 2021.
Need help to apply for your open work permit and stay in Canada?
Send a message here or contact us via email: