Work Permit

Author: Mock Webware |

  • September 7, 2021: Fully vaccinated travellers, from any country, can enter Canada if they meet all immigration and health requirements:

    • have received the full series of one of the following accepted COVID-19 vaccines or a combination of accepted vaccines: Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2); Moderna (mRNA-1273); AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222); or Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S);
    • have received their last dose at least 14 days prior to the day they enter Canada;
    • register their information in ArriveCAN App and show their receipt to board their flight;
    • are eligible to enter Canada on the specific date they enter;
    • have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19; and
    • meet all other entry requirements defined by immigration Canada.

    Fully vaccinated travellers do not need testing, unless they have been randomly selected to complete a Day 1 Covid-19 molecular test.

    Proof of vaccination needs to be uploaded in ArriveCAN app, in French or English, or certified translation into French or English.

    Travelers who have recovered from COVID-19 still need a full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or combination of accepted vaccines. One dose of an accepted vaccine other than Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) will not be accepted.

    Travelers shall also check flight suspensions before planning their travel to Canada.

    Final determination regarding entry and quarantine is made by a government representative at the port of entry based on the information presented to them at the time of entry into Canada.


Temporary workers enter Canada for a period of time to fill critical skill shortages. These workers are usually provided with a Temporary Work Permit before leaving their home country.

There are many ways to qualify for a Work Permit. In most situations, the worker will need a job offer from a Canadian employer to apply for a work permit.

Work Permit Programs

Work Permit via LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment): Before hiring an international worker, most employers need a government authorization that comes through an approved LMIA application. LMIAs are processed by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) which ensures that the entry of these workers will not have a negative impact on the Canadian labour market. Foreign nationals included in an approved LMIA are then able to apply for a work permit.

International Mobility Program

The IMP allows workers to apply for a work permit without a LMIA. The exceptions include professionals and business investors defined on international agreements, due to Canadian interests such as significant benefit or reciprocal employment, and public policies, workers without other means of support such as refugees, permanent residence applicants in Canada, vulnerable workers, and humanitarian reasons.

    • March 1, 2021: IEC pools are open for the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, and United Kingdom.

      Working Holiday Work Permit - Due to current travel restrictions, Working Holiday candidates will have to provide proof of a valid job offer to receive an invitation to apply for the 2021 season.

    The International Experience Canada is the pathway for young professionals looking to gain work experience in Canada. The Program is available to citizens from countries or territories that have an agreement with Canada allowing them to apply for an IEC work permit.

    There are 3 categories of work permit under the IEC Program:

    • Working Holiday: for candidates without a job offer in Canada.
    • Young Professionals: for candidates with a job offer in Canada in an occupation NOC skill level 0, A or B, and, in some specific situations, skill level C
    • International Co-op (Internship): for candidates registered at a post-secondary institution and have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada

    The eligibility requirements vary according to the country of citizenship. Usually, the candidates have to be between the ages of 18 and 35, have minimum of $2,500 CAD to cover the expenses in Canada, and be admissible to Canada.

    • PGWP new policy in force: Foreign workers in Canada with an expired or expiring PGWP and affected by the pandemic will be able to apply for another open work permit so they can remain in Canada and pursue the work experience needed to qualify for permanent residency.

      PGWP holders can apply for an open work permit under the public policy whether they:

      • have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date they apply
      • still are in Canada
      • have a valid temporary status, or are applying to restore their status

      The new work permit will be valid for 18 months. Applications will be open from January 27 to July 27, 2021.

    The PGWP is available for full-time students who graduated in eligible Canadian post-secondary institutions and programs.

    Eligibility requirements:

    • Complete a PGWP-eligible program at one of the Designated Learning Institutions. Academic, vocational or professional training programs at least 8 months long which grant a degree, diploma or certificate are eligible;
    • Take minimum of 50% of the Program by in-class courses (Some exceptions apply due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
    • Have studied full time (have taken at least 3 courses of the Program) in each semester, except for the last one.
    • Have received the transcript and letter of completion of the program issued by the Designated Learning Institution.

    The PGWP expiry depends on the length of the program the student has completed and is at the discretion of the Canadian immigration IRCC. For 1-year programs, the student usually receives a work permit valid for 1 year; for 2-year or longer programs, the work permit expiry varies from 2 to 3 years.

  • Some international students are allowed to work in Canada, inside and outside the campus, for any employer, if taking a full-time eligible program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). They can work part-time while taking classes and full-time during summer breaks. Foreign students can also apply for Co-op Work Permit when taking an eligible co-op program.

    Check if you qualify for a work permit