Study in Canada


International students with an approved study permit are allowed to enter Canada under certain conditions.

Fully vaccinated travellers, from any country, can enter Canada if they meet all immigration and health requirements:

  • have received the full series of the following accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of accepted vaccine:

Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)

Moderna (mRNA-1273)

AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)

Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)

  • have received their last dose at least 14 days prior to the day they enter Canada;
  • register their information in ArriveCAN App and show their receipt to board their flight;
  • are eligible to enter Canada on the specific date they enter;
  • have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19; and
  • meet all other entry requirements defined by immigration Canada.

All fully vaccinated travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, are required to take a pre-entry test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of their flight to Canada. Rapid antigen tests aren't accepted.

Those who were tested positive between 14 and 180 days before entering Canada can provide their positive results instead.

Besides that, any traveller can be selected at the border office discretion to take an arrival COVID-19 test, even if they have taken a COVID-19 test before.

Proof of vaccination needs to be uploaded in ArriveCAN app, in French or English, or certified translation into French or English.

Travelers who have recovered from COVID-19 still need a full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or combination of accepted vaccines. One dose of an accepted vaccine other than Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) will not be accepted.

Travelers shall also check flight suspensions before planning their travel to Canada.

Final determination regarding entry and quarantine is made by a government representative at the port of entry based on the information presented to them at the time of entry into Canada.

Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated international students can enter Canada if they meet all immigration and health requirements:

  • have a valid study permit;
  • the school they’re attending must be considered a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory;
  • have a quarantine plan for 14 days beginning on the day they arrive in Canada;
  • take a COVID-19 test on arrival and another on Day 8 of their quarantine;
  • register their information in ArriveCAN App and show their receipt to board their flight;
  • are eligible to enter Canada on the specific date they enter;
  • have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19; and
  • meet all other entry requirements defined by immigration Canada such as pre-entry test.

More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year and even more come to Canada to learn English or French. Foreign students are always welcomed and add a rich culture to our classrooms and campuses. As a student in Canada, if your studies will last less than six months, no Study Permit is required. Any studies beyond six months require a Study Permit, in addition to a Temporary Resident Visa, if you are not from a visa-exempt country.

Canada hosts some of the top universities and colleges in the world and has been an attractive location for international students to further their education.

We have arrangements with more than one thousand universities, colleges, language schools and high schools in Canada. We can assist you navigating through all the options and choosing the most suitable for you, according to your budget, which province or city you wish to live in, and the area of study you wish to pursue.

The great advantage is international students are allowed to work in Canada, inside and outside the campus, for any employer, if taking a full-time eligible program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). They can work part-time (20 hours per week) while taking classes and full-time during summer or non-semester breaks. This key experience gained during the education period can be helpful for students applying for permanent residence after completion of studies.

The Canadian government recognizes the importance of international students to the country’s economic growth. It continues to support recent graduates through a variety of immigration programs across the country that provide unique opportunities for students looking to remain in Canada and apply for permanent residency.

We can assist you to make the right decision choosing the eligible educational institution and program of studies that will support your career and application for permanent residency in Canada!

We assist throughout the (S2PR) student to permanent resident stream, selecting educational institutions and programs, enrolling the student at the school, applying for the study permit and defining the strategy for obtaining Canadian permanent residency.



Who needs a study permit to study in Canada?

You need to apply for a study permit before coming to Canada if you meet the requirements below:

  • are an international student;
  • are enrolling in an academic, professional, vocational or training program;
  • will study for more than 6 months or the program is shorter than 6 months but you are required to work in Canada as part of your program of study; and
  • will study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), an educational institution that is designated to host international students.

Whether you are coming to do an exchange, take an English or French course short-term course for less than 6 months, a course of general interest or self-improvement, a distance learning program or an audited course, you are not required to have a study permit to enter Canada. pre-school (pre-kindergarten) students also do not need a study permit. In these cases, a visitor visa might be required when the student is not from a visa-exempt country.


What are the requirements to apply for a Canadian study visa?

 You can apply to study in Canada if you:

  • have been accepted at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to take an academic, professional, vocational or training program of study and the institution has issued a Letter of Acceptance (LOA);
  • provide proof of funds to support yourself and your family members, if applicable, in Canada in the first year, including tuition fees, living expenses, and returning transportation to your home country;
  • have no criminal records and provide a police certificate, if you are from a country for which the certificate is required;
  • are in good health and provide your medical exam results, if you are from a country for which the medical exam is required; and
  • prove to the immigration officer that you will leave Canada by the time your study permit expires.


Can I work in Canada as an International Student?

Yes, in most cases, international students are allowed to work in Canada while studying. Immigration Canada will set on the student’s study permit whether the student is allowed to work in Canada or not.

International students can work:

  • After starting their study program, on or off the school campus
  • As a co-op students or intern, when their study program includes work experience as part of its curriculum
  • After graduation, if eligible for a Post-graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Eligibility requirements to work on-campus:

  • be a full-time post-secondary student at a: 
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law
  • have a valid study permit, and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Eligibility requirements to work off-campus:

  • be a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • be enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program or a secondary-level vocational training program (Quebec only)
  • the study program is at least 6 months long and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • have started studying
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Eligibility requirements for a Co-op Work Permit:

  • have a valid study permit
  • work is required to complete the study program in Canada
  • have a letter from the school that confirms all students in the same program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and
  • the co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of the study program

Eligibility requirements for a Post-graduation Work Permit (PGWP):

  • Have completed a PGWP-eligible program at one of the Designated Learning Institutions. Academic, vocational or professional training programs at least 8 months long which grant a degree, diploma or certificate are eligible;
  • Have completed at least 50% of the study program in Canada (some exceptions apply due to the COVID-19 pandemic);
  • Have studied full time (have taken at least 3 courses of the Program) in each semester, except for the last semester; and
  • Have received the educational credential, transcripts or letter of completion of the program issued by the Designated Learning Institution.

Graduates have up to 180 days to apply for a PGWP after getting their degree or diploma, transcript or official letter from their school, and must keep valid status in Canada.




Student Direct Stream (SDS)

The Student Direct Stream - SDS is the faster stream IRCC uses to process study permit applications from international students living in an eligible country. It usually takes up to 20 days for study permit applications under the SDS to be processed.

Eligibility requirements:

  • Be legal resident living in one of the following countries:
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Brazil
    • China
    • Colombia
    • Costa Rica
    • India
    • Morocco
    • Pakistan
    • Peru
    • Philippines
    • Senegal
    • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • Vietnam
  • Have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada;
  • Live outside of Canada when applying;
  • If applying to study in Quebec, have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration;
  • Have proof of payment of tuition fee for the first year of study;
  • Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 CAD;
  • Get a medical exam before applying (if the applicant needs one);
  • Get a police certificate before applying (if the applicant needs one);
  • Have the most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s); and
  • Have a language test result that shows either IELTS academic or general training minimum score of 6.0 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening), or TEF score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill.

Depending on where the student is applying from, other documents may be required.

Spouse or common-law partners and dependent children are also eligible for faster processing under the SDS if their applications are submitted at the same time as the main applicant.

What is a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)?

A GIC is an investment with fixed period of time offered by many banks in Canada. For study permit applications under the SDS, the GIC and issuing institution need to meet specific criteria set by Canadian immigration:

The institution must:

  • issue a document confirming that the student bought a GIC;
  • hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account which the student can’t access until arriving in Canada;
  • make the student confirm identity before they release any funds; and
  • release the funds to the student by providing an initial lump sum upon arrival in Canada and the remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months.

Getting your GIC is simple. In most cases, the student is able to complete the process online.

Need help to apply for a GIC to study in Canada? We can assist you.

We provide complete assistance with your school and study permit applications. We have arrangement with more than a thousand educational institutions in Canada and can help you choosing the most suitable program according to your needs.



Immigration Consultants in Canada

Serving clients across Kelowna, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Lake Country, Vernon, Penticton, Merritt, Prince George, Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, Victoria, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, Ottawa, Mississauga, Quebec, Montreal, Charlottetown, Fredericton, Halifax, St. John's and the surrounding areas.

We also serve across Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Hong Kong, Dubai, Philippines, India, UAE, Jamaica, Guatemala, Colombia, Vietnam, Nigeria, France, Iran, Korea and the United States.

Contact Cando Canadian Immigration Services Today!